[alsa-devel] DSD: Playing silence before and after actual audio data

Martin Pietryka martin.pietryka at streamunlimited.com
Thu Oct 15 15:01:56 CEST 2015

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to insert ~40ms worth of silence
pattern before and after playing back DSD data.

There seems to be support inside ALSA for a DSD silence pattern, but as
far as I have seen it's only used when an underrun might occur
(silence_threshold, silence_size).

Is there some possibility inside ALSA to basically insert silence before
and after playback, or how hard would it be to implement something like
this? I have looked a bit for myself and for me it seems that the
modifications needed inside ALSA to achieve this feature are
substantial, but of course I also might have missed something.

Martin