[alsa-devel] Sound not working after new kernel installed

Simon Wolk mistervertigo at web.de
Wed Oct 14 14:22:59 CEST 2015

   Hello everybody,

   I don't know if my question is right here, but either way I am asking:

   I am using an old Benq notebook (Joybook S73) mit Xubuntu 15.04. When I
   installed a new kernel (then 3.19.0-16, but now I am using 3.19.0.28)
   the sound on the speakers stoped working and there were no more audible
   sounds. With headphones plugged in and a the highest possible volume I
   could hear very silent the music played on the PC.

   Up to Kernel 3.2.0-70 the sound worked fine.

   System update and upgrade unfortunately did not help. Do you have any
   idea what may be the problem?

   I did the following to show the chip used:

   simon at simon-Joybook-S73:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -i audio -A2

   00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High
   Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)

   Subsystem: Benq Corporation Device [17ff:0600]

   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

   simon at simon-Joybook-S73:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards

   0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

   HDA Intel at 0x6c400000 irq 29

   Thank you for your help!

   Simon