[alsa-devel] Feasibility of adding alternative audio transport besides I2S/PWM/SPDIF, etc

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 13 11:57:45 CEST 2015

+ Mark

On Fri, 2015-10-09 at 09:11 -0700, Caleb Crome wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 2:34 AM, Liam Girdwood
> <liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-10-08 at 08:51 -0700, Caleb Crome wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>    I'm in a constant struggle to bring up many channel audio on each
> >> separate SoC.
> >>
> >> I can easily put a microcontroller in place that will collect and
> >> distrubute all the TDM channels to the codecs, and connect the
> >> hardware via an SPI interface to the SoC.
> >>
> >> So, instead of:
> >>
> >> CODECS <---TDM--->  SoC
> >>
> >> It would be
> >>
> >> CODECS <---TDM---> uC <---SPI---> SoC
> >>
> >> So, my questions are:
> >>
> >> * I suspect the SPI interface could be used more universally than each
> >> individual I2S/TDM interface (like FSL SSI vs. Ti McBSP vs. Ti McASP,
> >> etc).  and the SPI port would provide a very common API regardless of
> >> SoC.   Is that true?
> >
> > Some SPI ports could probably be used for audio, but this depends on the
> > SPI port HW capabilities. e.g. the SSP port on minnowboard can be
> > configured for TDM, I2S and SPI (afaik). I don't think any advantage
> > could be gained from running in SPI mode unless your HW permits some
> > special features ?
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The point is to use the 'generic' SPI API in
> the linux kernel to stream the data, and *not* use an audio format.
> So, the idea is, the external micro would buffer up a block of data,
> (in our case, maybe 160 samples * 32 channels  = 10 kBytes), then use
> the SPI port to read and write to the micro as if it were a memory or
> something like that to transfer the data.  So the external micro would
> appear to the CPU as an external register bank, and would do all the
> audio aggregation.

Ok, so this sounds like a burst based DAI where the host sends audio
data in bursts then sleeps. I think this has been done by some codec
vendors, but I dont know if any code is upstream.

> I was hoping that would provide a pretty much universal means of
> getting many channels of data into and out of pretty much any SoC that
> has an SPI port capable of the requisite speed.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes, just need to make sure that your SPI port has low latency and
enough bandwidth and I think you should be OK.

Liam