[alsa-devel] race condition between dmaengine_pcm_dma_complete and snd_pcm_release

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Mon Oct 12 14:01:10 CEST 2015

On 10/08/2015 03:46 PM, Matt Campbell wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
> Note: re-sending this message because I accidentally wasn't plain text
> email so it got bounced from the email list (thanks GMail). Sorry for
> the double mail to those that are CC'd.
>
> Thanks for the info, this felt like a limitation to the DMA engine
> before I found this older thread so it's good to have that feeling
> validated.
>
> Just for posterity I'll describe the situation I'm in with the RT
> patch. I'm on an i.MX6 solo processor which uses the imx-sdma driver.
> As far as I can tell, terminate_all properly shuts off the DMA (simply
> disabling the bit in the controller). The issue I'm having is the
> described in the following steps:
>
> 1) An SDMA interrupt comes in, is handled by the top half and the
> bottom half tasklet is scheduled.
>
> 2) Control returns to my RT process which is higher priority than the
> tasklet thread. My process decides it is time to shutdown and calls
> snd_pcm_close which will terminate the DMA and deallocates everything
> (including the substream which is the argument data to the tasklet)
>
> 3) With my process out of the way the dma tasklet can run. It
> eventually calls dmaengine_pcm_dma_complete (or in my case
> imx_pcm_dma_complete). You'll run into problems when dereferencing the
> now invalid substream pointer.
>
> I have one other note about your proposed fix. In
> dmaengine_pcm_dma_complete you can end up with xrun handling which
> will result in a reset of the stream including calling terminate_all
> on the DMA. I'm worried that even with an API call to the DMA system
> to synchronize completion of DMA tasklets, you could end up with a
> deadlock when this is called from the tasklet itself when resetting
> the stream. I think we need to put the tasklet synchronization just
> before snd_pcm_release is called (as you suggested in the older
> thread). This still makes me uneasy because deadlock is still possible
> if the tasklet takes locks that are held when snd_pcm_release is
> called. Thanks for the input!

Yes, very good analysis. This is the reason why we can't synchronize in
terminate_all() itself and have to introduce a separate synchronization
primitive to the API. Most users will be fine with terminating and syncing
at the same time, hence it makes sense to introduce a new API
terminate_all_sync() to cover those common cases. For cases where it is not
possible, e.g. because they either terminate the DMA from atomic context or
they can end up calling terminate_all() from the completion callback, a new
separate API function (e.g. dmaengine_synchronize()) will be introduced.
Users which use the asynchronous terminate API need to call
dmaengine_synchronize() before they free any resources that are accessed in
either the completion callback or the memory that is accessed by the DMA itself.

> This still makes me uneasy because deadlock is still possible
> if the tasklet takes locks that are held when snd_pcm_release is
> called. Thanks for the input

Good point. If that can happen we properly need to reference count the
struct that is passed to the complete callback.