[alsa-devel] Audio Mini Summit 2015, 8th October, Dublin

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Oct 12 10:46:56 CEST 2015

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:29:23 +0200,
Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> On 10/08/2015 04:29 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> >> Media controller:
> >> http://blogs.s-osg.org/working-complicated-problems-media-controller-workshop/
> >
> > And to give some more background information on how the constraints
> > refinement works: http://metafoo.de/alsa_constraints.html
> >
> > It's not yet complete but should still give you and idea
>
> Btw. when you try to size optimize the kernel have you tried to build stuff
> with link-time-optimization? A lot of the constraints refinement code is
> helper function that are only used by certain drivers. So with LTO also
> those helper function would be removed.

Yeah, I suggested a similar thing to Keyon before the meeting.
But I wonder whether LTO takes effect if the module is enabled.
AFAIK, Intel want to keep the modules (despite of the demanded code
reduction), as they seem to try the generic solution.  If the module
is enabled, essentially all exported symbols have to stay, so LTO
can't rip off anything.

A possible workaround that came to my mind is to build both built-in
and modules.  The former contains only symbols referred inside the
built-in kernel while the latter module contains the rest exported
symbols.  But, the initialization is the problem in this case, so it's
not so straightforward for now...