[alsa-devel] Zoom R16/24 playback slient

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Tue Oct 6 08:47:34 CEST 2015

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> >> Yeah, most of these look almost sane, so any off-by-one firmware
> >> issue?

I was looking at this, and comparing it to the corresponding output from
my Edirol UA-5, which is a class-complient (in its standard mode) 2 in / 2
out device. The descriptors look suspiciously similar on both devices,
especially considering that the R16 has 8 channels of input instead of 2
and a MIDI interface which the UA-5 lacks.

I'm not sure exactly which version of the USB audio standard they
correspond to, looking at the specifications for versions 1 and 2 it
didn't seem to make sense, but they do happen to correspond very much to
the descriptions in the following document:

https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/AN295.pdf

The fact that lsusb doesn't recognize them I would think boils down to the
fact that it simply doesn't know about USB audio; it appears that the ALSA
USB driver can make sense of the information, which is why the resulting
entry in the quirks table doesn't need a FIXED_ENDPOINT quirk.

/Ricard