[alsa-devel] Roland/Edirol M-16DX

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Thu Nov 12 08:58:00 CET 2015

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> > I seem to recall reading posts not to long ago that refer to using an
> > implicit feedback path; my question is, was this in fact implemented,
>
> Yes, for USB Audio 2.0 devices.
>
> > meaning that a device like the M-16DX should function as expected also for
> > playback?
>
> There is some bug in the code that should detect such Roland devices.

I finally got my hands on an M-16DX yesterday, and was preparing myself
for some initial research into this problem. Connected the device and used
some DAW software (Ardour 3) to record and playback about half a minute of
audio. No glitches whatsoever, neither in capture or playback.

So I thought, perhaps a DAW always opens the device for recording and
playback and hence there's always a feedback channel open. So I tried just
playing back a 7 minute wav file using aplay instead. Again, no glitches
in the resulting audio.

More tests are needed - I only used 44.1 kHz sample rate for instance -
but have I just been extremely lucky with the sample clocks so they match
up precisely (if that even would work), or could the problem have
magically fixed itself (ok, more realistically, as a result of something
else getting fixed)?

/Ricard