[alsa-devel] Unregister a card from userspace?

Felipe Ferreri Tonello eu at felipetonello.com
Wed Nov 11 15:50:17 CET 2015

Hi Ricard,

On 11/11/15 12:59, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Felipe Ferreri Tonello wrote:
>
>>> But that is precisely the problem. The framework that manages the
>>> insertion and deletion of modules notes that my module has a usage count
>>> that is > 0 (in my case it is 2, which I'm convinced is because the card
>>> has been registered with ALSA), and refuses to free the module. So there
>>> is now way any unregister_card call can be made when my module is freed,
>>> as due to the usage count it would never even be attempted.
>>
>> Do you mean that unbind is never called? Well, the framework should call
>> bind/unbind for each user of your module.
>
> Ok, I didn't know that. It's the first time I've been writing an ALSA
> driver as a loadable module.

Well, this is not ALSA specific, it really depends on which framework
your driver is based on, but they all share similar flow on probe and
remove driver.

>> How is your architecture? If you use one card for each probe of module
>> then each bind should create one device, right?
>
> In this case, it is a device which is located on the SoC. There is only
> one instance of it. When the module is loaded, it loads a codec driver
> with its associated DAI driver, a PCM driver, snd-soc-dummy-dai, and then
> a machine driver to tie it all together, finally registering the card with
> ALSA.
>
> Looking in /sys/bus/platform/devices, there seems to be one device created
> for the codec itself, and one for the machine driver. I don't know if
> that's right or wrong, the ALSA driver hierarchy works in the sense that I
> can capture audio from it anyway.

What exactly do you want? If it is driver that register and unregister
cards based on the user interaction of probing and removing that module
from user-space, then you are not looking for a driver. What you are
looking for is just a kernel module. The only way of interacting with it
is dealing with module_init and module_exit.

On the other hand, if in fact you want a driver, then check
sound/drivers/dummy.c for an example. You can also read the
Documentation/driver-model/platform.txt for more info.

--
Felipe