[alsa-devel] DP1.2 MST audio support discussion

Yang, Libin libin.yang at intel.com
Wed Nov 11 03:04:13 CET 2015

This should be for Intel platform, right? The actually number
should be:
pin number + device entry number - 1.
On intel platform, pin_num = 3, dev_num = 3, so it will be 5.

>    - all kcontrols are always bound to the PCM device (jack kctl, eld
> kctl, iec958 kctls etc)

Sure, I agree on it.

>   * Monitor (pin + MST index)
>    - dynamically bound to a PCM at monitor plug-in time, according to a
> scheme that maximises the possibility for a monitor to always end up at
> the same PCM (as specified in earlier emails)
>
>   * Converter node (3 nodes for Intel hardware)
>     - dynamically bound to a PCM at playback open time (regardless of
> whether the PCM has a monitor or not)

If so, we still need use converter on codec. This means we can't turn
off the power well in i915.

To save the power, i915 suggests that if no monitor is connected,
we should not use the HDMI codec. This means open a PCM with
no pin attached will fail. Disconnecting monitor when the corresponding
PCM is playback will trigger stop PCM.

To help move to the new method smoothly, I will add a flag.
User can decide whether to use the aggressive power saving
solution or not.

>     - return -EBUSY in case there is no free converter node

Regards,
Libin