[alsa-devel] [RFC 0/5] Add a gpio jack device

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed May 27 19:26:31 CEST 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 09:22:53PM -0700, Dylan Reid wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:

> > The only things that concerned me particularly were the name (which I
> > did agree on once you mentioned it) and the use of a bitmask to describe
> > what's being reported but it's hard to think of anything much better
> > than that.

> Is just "audio-jack" too generic?  There are a lot of audio jacks that
> wouldn't be described by this binding, such as those reported by the
> 227e or 5650.  The original goal here was to describe a jack that has

I think it's fine - I think we can use this as a jack object and have
other things reference it to supply additional detection mechanism.
Lars' point about jacks not just being for audio is a valid one, though.

> one or more gpios, each representing a particular type of device being
> attached.  This doesn't overlap with the binding for a jack that is
> handled by a headset detect chip.  Does this seem like the right goal,
> or is there a benefit to having an "audio-jack" binding that tries to
> cover all different types of jacks?

So like I say I was thinking that either the jack object has a list of
detection method phandles which point to other devices or the other
devices point at the jack object.