[alsa-devel] Assert in pcm_params.c

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 02:15:39 CEST 2015

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=19dfeee29f73007e61a00a8fabe3c958f7cb8e8

> > > I also can't reproduce this.  So this must be pretty specific to the
> > > setup.
> > >
> > > Could you give the exact condition to trigger the problem?  Also, this
> > > happens certainly with the latest alsa-lib?
> >
> > Thanks for taking a look.  Just compiling and running that test
program, on
> > the reporter's machine, which has some sort of multi-channel HDA-Intel,
is
> > 100% reproducible. The Alsa-lib must be the one provided by Debian
Jessie
> > (which was released 25.4.2015); 1.0.28 I think.  Does the Alsa-info give
> > enough details - I can ask any specific questions.
> >
> > However, Raymond seems to have some ideas of a possible cause, in
connection
> > with arbitrary period size and softvol; is that plausible?
>
> Possibly, but I wonder why I couldn't see it when I tried with
> different module options.
>
> In anyway, the fix would be simple, the patch like below.  Could you
> check whether it actually fixes your issue?

http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/portaudio/2015-May/016773.html

i7 test # ./test-format
Testing device front
Num channels 6
Testing rate: 22050   Result:...Invalid Sample Rate
Testing rate: 32000   Result:...Invalid Sample Rate
Testing rate: 44100   Result:...Unexpected Result???
Testing rate: 48000   Result:...Unexpected Result???
Testing rate: 96000   Result:...Unexpected Result???
i7 test # uname -r
3.13.0-sabayon

Your program should show snd_strerror(err) instead of Unexpected Result ???

It is strange that it fail at 48000Hz and 96000Hz

What is snd_hda_prealloc_size used by 3.13.0-sabayon ?

You need to define RULES_DEBUG in pcm_params.c to provide debug output