[alsa-devel] Assert in pcm_params.c

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Tue May 19 21:22:50 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 19 May 2015 13:01, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 1 May 2015 08:36:47 +0100, Alan Horstmann wrote:
> > A minimal self-contained demo program ('test-format') has been developed
> > and is attached, that demonstrates the issue 100% on the reporters
> > machine (HDA-Intel, 6-ch I believe).  The output is:
> >
> > root at Xeon:/home/patest# ./test-format
> > Testing device front
> > Num channels 6
> > Testing rate: 22050   Result:...Invalid Sample Rate
> > Testing rate: 32000   Result:...Invalid Sample Rate
> > test-format: pcm_params.c:2249: snd1_pcm_hw_params_slave: Assertion `err
> > >= 0' failed.
> > Testing rate: 44100   Aborted
> >
> > Alsa-info is at:
> >
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=19dfeee29f73007e61a00a8fabe3c958f7cb8e8
> >7
> >
> > This apparently happens with or without Pulseaudio running, with just the
> > single 44100 rate, and also with surround devices.  Also, on all current
> > Debian and Ubuntu - we have focused on Jessie.
> >
> > I do not have a machine with similar hardware, so cannot duplicate the
> > results.
> >
> > Any comments, ideas etc would be appreciated.
>
> I also can't reproduce this.  So this must be pretty specific to the
> setup.
>
> Could you give the exact condition to trigger the problem?  Also, this
> happens certainly with the latest alsa-lib?

Thanks for taking a look.  Just compiling and running that test program, on
the reporter's machine, which has some sort of multi-channel HDA-Intel, is
100% reproducible. The Alsa-lib must be the one provided by Debian Jessie
(which was released 25.4.2015); 1.0.28 I think.  Does the Alsa-info give
enough details - I can ask any specific questions.

However, Raymond seems to have some ideas of a possible cause, in connection
with arbitrary period size and softvol; is that plausible?

Regards

Alan