[alsa-devel] commit b1ef29725865 (ACPI _REV=2) causes sound regression on Dell XPS 13 [Was: Discussion around quirking the _REV behavior for the XPS 13 (2015) until 4.2]

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Mon May 11 20:26:58 CEST 2015

Hi,

(CC'ing sound experts)

indeed, commit b1ef29725865 causes a severe regression -- actually, it
causes sound to be totally unusuable on the Dell XPS 13 (2015) on
Debian jessie, while it works fine in 4.0 / with b1ef29725865 reverted.

According to an off-list discussion, the sound breakage (and not just some
jack detection issue) seems to be caused due to alsa-lib being too old.
The matter is further complicated by the issue that the driver
asks for some firmware blob intel/IntcPP01.bin which (at least) I
cannot find anywhere.

Under the no-regression rule, this means that either b1ef29725865 needs
to be reverted or we need to find another solution to this matter, such as
an override. And I think it is needed for longer than just for 4.1, as it
will continue to be cause regressions on quite recent userspace.

Best,
	Dominik

PS/OT: Probably I'm preaching to the choir, but @Mario: it's a pity the
XPS (or some versions of it) with pre-installed Ubuntu actually ships
with a Wifi adapter which seems to be unsupported by upstream Linux...