[alsa-devel] Front speakers doesn't work in multichannel output, regression in ALC888

Łukasz Wojniłowicz lukasz.wojnilowicz at gmail.com
Sat May 2 07:42:27 CEST 2015

Hi all,

My problem is that when I set channel output to "Analog output surround 5.1"
(or 2.1 or 4.1), I hear no sound in front speakers, but in case of 5.1 or 4.1
I can hear sound in rear speakers. I use kernel 3.19.5 and it didn't happen in
earlier kernels that is 3.18 and in 3.17 for sure.

My configuration is:
OS: Fedora 21 64 bit
SoundCard: ALC888
Model name: acer-aspire-4930g
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5930g
Speakers: external 5.1 with 3 jacks
Sound channel configuration module is standard configuration module from KDE.

Additional info:
1) When channel output is 5.1 and I unplug green jack and leave two others
jacks connected then I can hear sound in laptop internal speakers.
2) Earlier (kernel 3.18 and 3.17) I didn't have possibility to choose 2.1
configuration and additionally to 4.1 configuration I could also choose 4.0
configuration.

Thanks for looking into problem.

Cheers
LW