[alsa-devel] snd-hda-intel : issues with mic boost on ALC3236

Simon Derr ddrsimon at gmail.com
Fri May 1 09:32:24 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Fri, 1 May 2015 09:05:44 +0200,
> Simon Derr wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Simon Derr <ddrsimon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Good news : setting model=,headset-mic seems to solve all my issues.
>> > The jack mic works, the internal mic works, and the boost works.
>>
>> Ach !
>>
>> Things are actually a bit more complicated. After suspend/resume my
>> mic stopped working.
>
> OK, this must be a bug in the quirk.

I wouldn't call it a bug, since the quirk that is "live" during
suspend/resume is not the only quirk needed to make the mic work.
Anyway, more testing shows that one step in my sequence was not needed.

The whole story is:

1/ modprobe snd-hda-intel model=,dell-headset-multi
But **with a headset plugged in in the combo jack**. Else it does not work.
At this point the headset mic works but not the internal one.

2/ rmmod snd-hda-intel. The headset can be removed now, or not.

3/ modprobe snd-hda-intel model=,headset-mic

4/ Now the proper boost and recording levels can be set in alsamixer,
the mic works.
alsa-info here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=17352a127029ec18376b71f960965c9d29646c8b

5/suspend-resume. Mic stops working.