[alsa-devel] Default volume for all soundcards (-20dB by default?)

Jo contact at samplerbox.org
Wed Jun 17 14:53:03 CEST 2015

Hi,

It seems that the default volume for any new soundcard is set by
default to -20dB.
Do you know where is it hardcoded ? In which source file (I used
package "alsa-utils" in Debian)  or which configuration file?

Thanks,
Jo

PS: here's the context :

I woud like to set up the default sound volume once for all, for all
ALSA devices that will be connected ever.
Of course, I could do "amixer ..." or even "alsamixer" to modify the
volume of _currently available_ soundcards.
But I really want to modify the default volume even for future
soundcards that will be added later.
I've seen /var/lib/alsa/asound.state but the content is specific to
_currently connected_ soundcards. What I want is a solution that will
apply to any soundcard that will be connected in the future.

Why do I want this? I'm providing a ready-to-use Debian image for my
project http://www.samplerbox.org.
User #1 might use the computer's built-in-soundcard, User #2 might
have a USB DAC, User #3 might have another soundcard...
I would like to provide a default -3dB volume that will work for any
ALSA soundcard people could have...