[alsa-devel] Can't Unload ALSA Driver Without Disconnecting the Device

Azizul Hakim azizulfahim2002 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 08:28:16 CEST 2015

Hi,

I've been developing a sound card driver for a USB device using ALSA. My
driver is almost working but I've got one small issue. If I try to unload
the driver module using "rmmod" command  when the device is still connected
to the USB port, it says "Module is in use" even though I'm not playing any
sound files or anything.

If I try to execute the "lsmod" command I see that it is saying the usage
count of my driver to be 1, but it doesn't say anything about who is using
it. Once I disconnect the device from the USB port, I can easily unload the
module.

So it seems to me it won't be possible to unload a sound card driver if the
card is attached in the computer. Is my assumption correct? If not, what
might be some key points to solve the issue?

Thanks for any suggestion

Regards
Azizul Hakim