[alsa-devel] 2 speakers are assigned to the same DAC, this can't support 4.0/2.1 channles

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 03:22:12 CEST 2015

>>> OK, good to know.  I'd like to test a bit more via hda-emu whether
>>> this gives any ill effects.  So far, this seems fixing a few other
>>> machines, too, so it's a good thing to have in general.
>>
>> This change alone results in regressions on machines that are capable
>> of 4.0/5.1 surrounds.  For avoiding it, the badness for multi-io has
>> to be increased as well.  It's damn sensitive.
>>
>> But, now I wonder now whether blindly applying this is good.  Suppose
>> a machine with 2.1 speaker and one headphone, but the codec has only
>> two DACs.  With this setup, now the headphone and the speaker share
>> the same DAC, as the cost of having individual 2.1 speaker volume.
>> Is this more useful than having individual volumes for speaker and
>> headphone?
>
> If having individual volumes for speaker and headphone (the speakers
share the same DAC), there will be no "Front Speaker" and "Bass Speaker",
as a result, in the userspace, pulseaudio can't regard the 2.1 channels is
a valid profile.

Do you mean you can still hear high frequency from the subwoofer of 92hd91
(i.e. pulseaudio lfe filtering is much better than the band pass filter in
92hd91)

How much auddional cpu need to enable lfe filtering ?