[alsa-devel] [REANNOUNCE] Audio Mini Summit 2015, 8th October, Dublin

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:04:30 CEST 2015

14.07.2015 20:03, Mark Brown wrote:
> Like previous years, we're going to hold a meeting to discuss
> lowlevel audio on Linux.  This will be held the day after ELC Europe on
> 8th October at CCD (The Convention Centre) in Dublin.
>
> If you're interested please sign up in the attendee list:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bi-8GHsqlzt41FR20WiMuWILe_cZowFireVMBd-QM8Q/edit?usp=sharing
>
> and please follow up to this mail with any topics you'd like to see
> raised so we can start collecting them (probably another Google doc will
> be forthcoming for them).

I would like to see some direct measurements related to recent
power-saving proposals, including the "disable rewinds" flag. Myself, I
can redo battery-life measurements on Intel-based laptops that my
colleagues have, and maybe compare dmix, PulseAudio and CRAS in terms of
power consumption.

Ideally, I would like to reevaluate the design decisions (namely, the
need to keep the system responsive to new streams while keeping the
average wakeup rate as low as possible, IMHO even to the point of
"absurdly low") that led to the need to support rewinds (and the
associated complexity) in the first place. Reminder: on my Sony VAIO
VPC-Z23A4R laptop and hw:0 device, in an unrealistic test with the
screen turned off, wi-fi turned off, and the SSDs put to sleep, going
from 200 to 1 wakeup per second saved only 935 seconds of battery life
out of 25742.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov