[alsa-devel] Issue in alsa when dma complete race with pcm release

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Tue Jul 7 15:32:02 CEST 2015

On 07/07/2015 12:13 PM, Shengjiu Wang wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 02:27:01PM +0200, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

>>> How to check " all scheduled complete callbacks have finished"?
>>
>> That will be up to the dmaengine driver. But it basically comes down
>> to two things:
>>
>> 1) The driver needs to make sure that tasklet_schedule() is no
>> longer called after terminate_all() has finished.
> Some driver can't make sure this. The dma interrupt may come later after
> terminate_all.

Most drivers can't make sure that the interrupt routine is not executed
after terminate_all() has been called, since both are fully asynchronous.
But what the driver needs to take care of is to synchronize the two e.g.
using a spin_lock() and make sure that if terminate_all() has been called
tasklet_schedule() is not called, even if the isr is executed. Most drivers
get this rigght.

>> 2) In the sync() callback call tasklet_kill() to make sure that it
>> has finished running
>>

>>> One concern is if add wait in snd_dmaengine_pcm_close(), which wil cause
>>> the snd_pcm_release is bound with dmaengine, when there is error in dma
>>> and no callback be called. Then the snd_pcm_release will not be released.
>>
>> The sync() function will only wait if there is a callback scheduled,
>> if there is non scheduled it will return immediately.
>

> Do you have other method to resolve this issue? or simple method?

No, this is the way to go. You have two asynchronous processes and you want
to get deterministic execution ordering between the two you need to add a