[alsa-devel] After kernel upgrade to v ~~> 4.1.0, no audio output unless UNPLUG/RE-PLUGIN of audio jack on card; OK with earlier kernels

robert.devanna at nospammail.net robert.devanna at nospammail.net
Mon Jul 6 01:04:19 CEST 2015

As add'l info

with guidance from #irc, I've tried

adding

	/etc/modprodbe.d/50-sound.conf
	+	options snd-hda-intel power_save_controller=0

and adding

	/etc/init.d/after.local
	+	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x1c SET_POWER_STATE 0

and launching

	cat /usr/local/scripts/alsa-fix.sh
		#!/bin/bash
		sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x1c SET_POWER_STATE 0

as a KDE startup script,

and exec'ing

	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x1c SET_POWER_STATE 0

@ desktop shell as uid=<myuser>

None work.

The one thing that DOES work, so far, is @ desktop shell, exec of

	sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x1c SET_POWER_STATE 0

as sudo (root).

On exec, I hear a 'pop' through the speakers, and immediately after I can play audio -- withOUT having to physically UNPLUG/REPLUGIN the jack.

Clearly, I can't figure out how to automate this workaround -- not clear where else to try it.  Begs the question why it only works in this case.

- Rob