[alsa-devel] Intel Baytrail Linux Audio

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Fri Jul 3 12:32:08 CEST 2015

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 11:46:06 +0200
Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> > Liam Girdwood <liam.r.girdwood at intel.com> wrote:
> > > Can you try the bytcr_rt5640 machine driver as the byt-rt5640 machine
> > > driver will be getting deprecated (since it only works with a small
> > > number of FWs). The bytcr_rt5640 driver works with a wider range of FW.
>
> If that means just "modprobe snd-soc-sst-bytcr-rt5640" instead of "modprobe
> snd-soc-sst-byt-rt5640-mach" then it has no effect at all: the module is
> loaded but does not create any card and does not print anything.

snd-soc-sst-bytcr-rt5640 will be loaded automatically if you use
snd-intel-sst-acpi instead of snd-soc-sst-acpi, you can blacklist
the latter using a file in /etc/modprobe.d (look up the details), or
just remove snd-soc-sst-acpi.ko from the installation dir as a dirty
hack.

> If that requires changing the source or using sources from a different
> repository, please be a little more specific.

In my tests I used the code from mainline linux.

> Antonio Ospite:
> > When testing the bytcr_rt5640 machine driver give also a try to the
> > latest firmwares:
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/firmware.git/tree/intel?h=byt
> >
> > I had some success with fw_sst_0f28_ssp0.bin
>
> I tried overwriting the fw_sst_0f28.bin-48kHz_i2s_master file with that
> file, but it just gives me this message:
>
> [  390.704580] baytrail-pcm-audio baytrail-pcm-audio: wrong ram type 0x7 in block0x0
> [  390.704591] baytrail-pcm-audio baytrail-pcm-audio: invalid module 0
> [  390.704596] baytrail-pcm-audio baytrail-pcm-audio: error: parse fw failed -22
> [  390.704610] baytrail-pcm-audio baytrail-pcm-audio: error: failed to load firmware
>
> It happens when loading snd-soc-sst-baytrail-pcm, i.e. before loading
> snd-soc-sst-bytcr-rt5640(-mach).
>
> I guess I am not following the instructions correctly.

Note that different drivers expect different firmwares, you cannot mix
them:

 snd-soc-sst-acpi   -> fw_sst_0f28.bin-48kHz_i2s_master
 snd-intel-sst-acpi -> fw_sst_0f28.bin
 snd-intel-sst-acpi -> fw_sst_0f28_ssp0.bin (renamed to fw_sst_0f28.bin)

Ciao,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite