[alsa-devel] Question about codec which is supporting TDM / 5.1ch

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Jan 21 12:33:35 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 07:44:17AM +0000, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

> Now, we want to create new board, and then, we want to use below codec if exist.
> Can you show it to us if it was exist ?
> (I researched it on upstream Linux source tree, but couldn't find....)

>  - upstream Linux supports its driver
>  - it supports TDM format
>  - it supports 5.1ch sound
>  - it supports DT bindings (if possible)

Some of the Wolfson/Cirrus mobile CODECs can do that with some fiddling
and mixing of output types but they're not really a good fit.  Most of
the things doing 5.1 are like the WM8580 - they use separate data lines
rather than TDM, as far as I can tell a lot of 5.1 systems out there do
this by hooking up multiple stereo CODECs in parallel as slaves rather
than by using a single 5.1 CODEC.