[alsa-devel] Digital Input on ALC3661 (from laptop HDMI IN) not working under Linux

Oliver Freyermuth o.freyermuth at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 17 17:04:17 CET 2015

>> I have an Alienware 17 laptop (sometimes called M17RX5) which has a
> Realtek ALC3661.
>>The problem I describe here should also be valid for the Alienware 18
> (all the late 2013 models, which are still the most current). At least
> some scattered forum reports suggest so.
>
>>The card works almost perfect in Linux, but one functionality is
> missing: The laptop features an HDMI input, and the Realtek card is
> supposed to take care of the incoming digital audio.
> This works fine in Windows, but in Linux, I only get the video and the
> audio stays missing.
>
>> Here you can find my alsa-info:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=0a0502e49212a0436a30fde9d4ee56163bbc2ebc
>
> The only digial input is node 0x0a
>
> Try hda-jack-retask to change node 0x1f  with pin default [Jack] digital In

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!
I tried, 0x0a stays as "not present" but I can select it in alsa-mixer
as expected. Sadly, I can only record silence.
Also setting Jack Detection to "Present" in the advanced overrides of
hdajackretask did not help.

Do you have further ideas / is there more information I can provide /
collect?

Cheers,
Oliver

--
Oliver Freyermuth
Physikalisches Institut der Universität Bonn