[alsa-devel] alsa-lib support for compress offload

Qais Yousef qais.yousef at imgtec.com
Fri Jan 16 12:22:45 CET 2015

On 01/16/2015 10:34 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:52:58 +0000,
> Qais Yousef wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As far as I understand I need to use something similar to tinycompress
>> to use alsa devices that supports compress offload. When I asked on
>> gstreamer list [1] about alsasink support for compress offload they said
>> yes. But I can see that gstalsasink.c [2] only uses the standard
>> alsa-lib api which AFAICT doesn't support compress offload.
>>
>> Did I misread the code and alsa-lib actually works with compress
>> offload? Gstreamer refers to the feature "passthrough" and associate it
>> with SPDIF[3], are they taking advantage of some other alsa feature that
>> looks like compress offload?
> It's a normal IEC958 passthrough, nothing to do with the compress
> offload.  And, no, we have no support for compress API in alsa-lib
> yet.  Just because no one submitted the patches.
>

> Takashi

Thanks. I haven't used alsa-lib before but I might be able to send the
patches if I get guidance of what needs doing. Is the expected API
similar/same to what provided by tinycompress[1]?

[1]
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=tinycompress.git;a=blob;f=include/tinycompress/tinycompress.h;h=03c396fccea5f2a176d24fd580ee6a447da657ec;hb=HEAD