[alsa-devel] alsa-lib support for compress offload

Qais Yousef qais.yousef at imgtec.com
Fri Jan 16 10:52:58 CET 2015

Hi,

As far as I understand I need to use something similar to tinycompress
to use alsa devices that supports compress offload. When I asked on
gstreamer list [1] about alsasink support for compress offload they said
yes. But I can see that gstalsasink.c [2] only uses the standard
alsa-lib api which AFAICT doesn't support compress offload.

Did I misread the code and alsa-lib actually works with compress
offload? Gstreamer refers to the feature "passthrough" and associate it
with SPDIF[3], are they taking advantage of some other alsa feature that
looks like compress offload?

Thanks,
Qais

[1]