[alsa-devel] Internal speakers not working on HP ProBook 455 G2

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Feb 24 09:43:10 CET 2015

Takashi-san,

On 19.02.2015 20:38, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:24:15 +0900,
> Michel D4nzer wrote:
>>
>> the built-in speakers of my HP ProBook 455 G2 are not working by
>> default. I'm attaching the output of alsa-info.sh.
>
> Is this a regression from earlier kernels?

No, it's the same with Debian's default 3.16 kernel.

>> In pavucontrol, the speakers appear as "Speakers (unavailable)", and in
>> the GNOME sound settings they don't appear at all.

In the meantime, I've noticed that those symptoms are due to the
headphone jack being incorrectly detected as connected. And indeed, on a
different laptop I get all the same symptoms while headphones are
plugged in.

So, it occurred to me to try 'the other OS' on this laptop, and the
behaviour there is weird as well: No sound from the speakers even while
nothing's plugged into the headphone jack. When I plug in headphones,
there's a notification: "Something was just unplugged from your
headphone jack" (!), then sound works as expected through the
headphones. When I unplug them again, there's a notification: "Something
was just plugged into your headphone jack".

In Linux, I haven't seen any visible change when plugging in or out the
headphones.

Do you think the hardware is defective? Any possible workarounds for the
incorrect headphone jack detection?