[alsa-devel] Memory and Cycles overhead in <snd_soc_init>

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Wed Feb 11 13:47:22 CET 2015

On 02/11/2015 10:40 AM, Bhaskara rao Budiredla wrote:
> Thanks Lars for the help. Could you please tell me the use case for those
> devices and drivers creation? Even pointing to the code snippet is helpful.

The soc-audio platform driver is used by some board drivers which register
the matching platform device. Just grep for soc-audio. And both the
snd-soc-dummy driver and device are registered in snd_soc_util_init(). So
the device should actually bind immediately. Both the dummy codec and the
dummy platform are sue by some DPCM platforms. Again just grep for them to
find the examples.

I'm not sure what this discussion is about. Registering the devices and
drivers should talk up a pretty much insignificant slice of the whole boot
time, so I don't understand why you want to remove this.

- Lars