[alsa-devel] Memory and Cycles overhead in <snd_soc_init>

Bhaskara rao Budiredla bhaskarbudiredla at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 12:58:02 CET 2015

Hi - May I know the purpose of the call to snd_soc_init( ) from kernel_init
thread? snd_soc_init( ) is trying to register a dummy platform device
"snd-soc-dummy" containing (dummy_codec/dummy_platform) and a sound card
device. Neither of those devices are added to platform bus before they are
making a call to platform_driver_register( ). Due to that platform_match(
) will fail and they will not be added to platform bus . Thus,
snd_soc_init( ) is not doing any useful task during kernel boot time.

Could someone help me if my understanding is correct? If I am correct,
shall we remove the call to snd_soc_init( ) in kernel_init thread to save
boot time and memory? Otherwise please suggest me where those dummy devices
and sound card gets added to platform bus and the purpose of creating them?

Thanks,
Bhaskara