[alsa-devel] Can we remove un-used Sound driver ?

Manuel Lauss manuel.lauss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 19:54:21 CET 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 07:10:49AM +0000, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:
>
>> These patches remove Renesas SuperH base un-used sound drivers.
>> Maybe, these had been used from out-of-tree (?). But ...
>>  - these are for very old SoC / platform
>>  - these are not used/enabled from upstreamed platform
>>  - maintenance cost is not zero
>>  - we can't test/check these drivers since we don't have these board.
>>
>> I'm very sad, but...
>> Good bye sh7760
>> Good bye ssi
>> Good bye hac

I still have working hardware for those 3 files, I just need to dust
it off.  But the last time I checked (~3 years ago) I had no issues
with sound.

> Hrm.  At least migor was active relatively recently, Guennadi was
> working on it in 2012 which isn't *that* long ago and there may well be
> systems still in the field.  There's also still board code for migor in
> arch/sh so it's an upstream platform.  Some of the others like SSI and
> HAC are definitely not showing any signs of anyone being interested
> though and I'd not be surprised if they'd been broken at some point.

I still have the full board support code for the SH7760 hardware I originally
wrote the above sound drivers for.  If there's interest I can whip
it in shape for submission.

Manuel