[alsa-devel] bat: naming conflict in distribution packages with Bareos/Bacula

Jörg Steffens joerg.steffens at bareos.com
Wed Dec 23 12:59:55 CET 2015

Hello,

my name is Jörg Steffens and I'm one of the maintainers of the Bareos
backup software project. Bareos is a fork Bacula.

Bareos includes a GUI program called bat (bareos administration tool).
bat have been around since 2007.

alsa-utils as well as bareos-bat (as well a some Bacula packages) all
contain a program called /usr/bin/bat, which causes conflicts on various
distributions ("basic audio tester" vs "bareos administration tool"
("bacula administration tool")).
See http://pkgs.org/search//usr/bin/bat

We received a bug report/feature request
https://bugs.bareos.org/view.php?id=576 from Michel, the maintainer of
Bareos for Arch Linux about how to solve the naming conflict with we
latest ALSA 1.1.0.

I wanted to raise the question, if you are aware of this potential
problem? Maybe you have guidelines for package maintainers how to solve
this.
Some distributions have separated "basic audio tester" from the
alsa-utils package, like Fedora with alsa-utils-bat.
I think, this will work out well, as I assume "basic audio tester" is
not stricly required on all systems. "bareos administration tool" at
least is optional and typical installed on administrative workstations.

regards,
Jörg
 Jörg Steffens                   joerg.steffens at bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG            Phone: +49 221 630693-91
 http://www.bareos.com           Fax:   +49 221 630693-10

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
 Geschäftsführer:
 S. Dühr, M. Außendorf, Jörg Steffens, P. Storz, M. v. Wieringen