[alsa-devel] DT soundcard driver with special clock routing

Petr Kulhavy petr at barix.com
Thu Dec 10 17:31:26 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm developing a DT-based driver for an ARM SoC device with the
following special clock routing:

- WM8758 codec attached to the CPU DAI via I2S
- the codec is I2S clock master
- the CPU feeds the codec with 12MHz clock (outside of the I2S)
- the codec converts the 12MHz  internally to 48kHz*256 or 44.1kHz *256
clock and provides it to I2S as MCLK

So the special set-up needed here is that the codec needs to be
configured to:
a) generate the proper MCLK
b) enable the respective GPIO pin as clock output

What is the best way of representing this set-up using device tree?
I'm wondering if this can be done by adding a specific option in the
codec DT binding for enabling the clock output and then use the simple
audio card.
Or do I need to write a specific soundcard driver that sets up the codec
registers? I would like to avoid that if possible and use existing code...

What would you recommend?

Thanks

--
Petr Kulhavy, MSc
System Architect

*BARIX*

petr at barix.com <mailto:petr at barix.com> | Skype: brain.barix

Barix AG, Seefeldstrasse 303 | 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
T +41 43 43322 11 | www.barix.com <http://www.barix.com>

You have received this email because of your relationship Barix AG and
its affiliated companies. Barix AG and its affiliated companies do not
sell or exchange email addresses, or any other personal contact
information provided by you with any third parties. All email
distributions are managed and controlled by Barix AG and its affiliated
companies.
Barix AG, Seefeldstr. 303, 8008 Zürich, Switzerland. Company Reg. No:
CH-020.3.023.869-8, VAT Reg. No: CHE-105.687.663.