[alsa-devel] [REANNOUNCE] Audio Mini Summit 2015, 8th October, Dublin

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Tue Aug 4 18:13:35 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 08:51:28AM +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 09:37:16AM +0200, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> > Full media controller integration for both ALSA and ASoC. How this can be
> > used to export topology information to userspace and how to for example
> > attach a specific volume control to a specific media controller entity. And
> > maybe also how to de-duplicate similar functionality between DAPM and media
> > controller.

> The recently merged topology core allows us to 'send' the complete topology
> information for a component to kernel drivers.

> So with this we now we have two additional choices:
> - assuming all components use topology framework, we don't need to query, we
>   use the topology information available in usermode. Some more support to
>   parse topology binary installed and show as controls in alsa-lib might be
>   required here

That'd require us to move all the DAPM information for drivers out of
the kernel and into userspace which seems a bit worrying - it's going to
be harder for things that need events and I worry about the effect on
quality of implementation if people stop sending things to get reviewed.

> - do a reverse path, based on dapm and control info (driver will need to add
>   code for linking the two) we add a new reverse API, which tells us the
>   topology information from kernel

That's basically what the media controller API discussion has been.