[alsa-devel] [pulseaudio-discuss] Strange hardware: XFX nForce 780i SLI MCP

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 03:44:51 CEST 2015

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_nforce_780i_sli_us.html ,
http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-CK-NF78.pdf

> As you see on page 18 of the manual, this board has no HDMI output, but
there is an optical SPDIF. Strangely enough, this SPDIF is his
"hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" device.

> Given the recent discussions related to dynamically creating PCM devices
for HDMI, I think you will be interested in this alsa-info output.

> Is there anything here that would need special treatment by ALSA or
PulseAudio? Or, is this just a misnumbered/misnamed codec?

This can also be regarded as bug of hda_auto_parser.c which does not
determine type of digital pin correctly

Those internal spdif connector which can connect to an optional spdif
headser or spdif input header of the graphic card for hdmi audio output

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-032871.htm

But the pincap of these kind of digital pin usually does not support DETECT
nor HDMI