[alsa-devel] Abouut adv7511 driver

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Sat Aug 1 11:44:06 CEST 2015

Hello,

On Friday 31 July 2015 08:21:16 Kuninori Morimoto wrote:
> Hi Lars
> Cc Magnus, Laurent
>
> > > I noticed Analog Devices has adv7511 support on
> > > http://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-drivers/drm/adv751
> > > 1
> > >
> > > And I tried this driver on my board, and it works.
> > >
> > > if my understanding was correct, latest linux kernel doesn't have
> > > adv7511 "sound" support yet.
> > > Thus, I would like to have it on linux kernel.
> > > According to this driver/file, it is under GPL-2, so it is no problem
> > > from license point of view.
> > >
> > > According to git log Signd-off-by, Lars/Mark are listed on this adv7511
> > > sound driver. but I wonder why it is not on upstream ? Are there some
> > > reason ??
> > > If you don't mind, I would like to send it to ML.
> > > This is OK ?
> >
> > The reason why the driver is not upstream at the moment is that the way it
> > implements things is definitely not the right way. But there is still a
> > lot of discussion on what actually is the right way to implement audio
> > support for HDMI devices. Once that has been sorted out the driver will
> > hopefully go upstream.

Beside the in-kernel API, have you given a thought to DT bindings for HDMI
encoders ? Some platforms use DT bindings based on OF graph for the video
path, would it make sense to model the audio path similarly ? The
implementation could become a bit of a challenge though.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart