[alsa-devel] Simple Mixer help

Bram Bos buramu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:51:06 CEST 2015

Problem solved, thanks Takashi!

Archiving for benefit of future generations, here's what made it work for
me:

void SetAlsaMasterVolume(long volume){
     long min, max;
     snd_mixer_t *handle;
     snd_mixer_selem_id_t *sid;
     const char *card = "hw2"; // just for this example, don't hard-code
this!
     const char *selem_name = "PCM"; // for some reason Master didn't work,
but PCM does...

     snd_mixer_open(&handle, 0);
     snd_mixer_attach(handle, card);
     snd_mixer_selem_register(handle, NULL, NULL);
     snd_mixer_load(handle);

     snd_mixer_selem_id_alloca(&sid);
     snd_mixer_selem_id_set_index(sid, 0); // no need to change the index
in this case
     snd_mixer_selem_id_set_name(sid, selem_name);
     snd_mixer_elem_t* elem = snd_mixer_find_selem(handle, sid);

     snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_volume_range(elem, &min, &max);
     snd_mixer_selem_set_playback_volume_all(elem, volume * max / 100);

     snd_mixer_close(handle);
}