[alsa-devel] [RFC 6/9] ASoC: hda: Add Code Loader DMA support

Vinod Koul vinod.koul at intel.com
Wed Apr 29 13:08:40 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 03:17:17PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > > What if the buffer is just too big?  Looks like this would loop for
> > > ever.
>
> > DMA is started, so link_pos get updated and we keep reading it. Since its
> > DMA a big buffer will get done fairly soon.
>
> No, two separate questions there - what if the buffer is bigger than the
> maximum size (it looked like there was one) and what about error
> handling (if some clock gets stopped and we don't transfer data for
> example)?
Okay got it. So for former, yes code doesn't handle it, we should split it up
in that case or error out, will add that.

On latter one, the error handling in general would be beefed up but
specifically since this is memory copy I am not expecting timeout. If clock is
gone then whole audio cluster is gone bonkers so even simple read registers
will fail.

Thanks
--
~Vinod