[alsa-devel] M-Audio Midisport 2x2 Anniversary edition, latency problem

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Apr 29 09:14:03 CEST 2015

Ilya Dikariev wrote:

>>> I measured it only with my feeling of time.
>>
>> What are the specific events between which there is an interval of
>> 5 seconds?
>
> Between I press any key on a MIDI-keyboard and I hear the sound from
> the timidity-daemon (or any other MIDI-reciever in a computer).

There are lots of components involved besides the USB/MIDI interface:
Timidity, any sound server (if you're using one), and the sound card's
drivers.

It is extremely unlikely that the USB/MIDI interface could introduce
latency, because the only way to do that would be to go to the extra
effort of storing the MIDI events in some buffer, and then transmitting
them later.

> the MIDI events from the Pitch-wheel on the keyboard arrives the MIDI-
> reciever immedietly (I saw it, when i tried to check out the output
> from the /dev/midi).

This proves that another component introduces the latency.

(Note: you could also use amidi or aseqdump to do these tests.)

How did you configure the audio output of Timidity?

Regards,
Clemens