[alsa-devel] [pulseaudio-discuss] ThinkPad T-510 audio output mute LED non-workingness

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Apr 27 20:49:31 CEST 2015

At Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:52:52 -0600,
Glenn Golden wrote:

> Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> [2015-04-27 19:12:21 +0200]:
> >
> > I see no such warning in the log you attached, so it's not the issue,
> > as it seems.
> >
> > Below is a debug patch, and now you should see messages like "XXX ..."
> > in kernel log at loading the driver.  If there is no such a message,
> > it means that the thinkpad hook isn't built in at all.  Please check
> > the kernel log again with the patch.
> >

> Actually, before adding your debug patch, a question about something that may
> be relevant here: I noticed just now that the kernel build, which I performed
> in accordance with the instructions from the Archlinux Wiki:
>
>     https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernels/Compilation/Traditional
>
> did not result in a /lib/modules/extramodules-3.19-ARCH-gdg01 directory
> being created ("ARCH-gdg01" being the suffix used for the custom-built
> kernel).
>
> The only extant modules directories are /lib/modules/3.19.3-ARCH-gdg01
> and of course the extramodules dir /lib/modules/extramodules-3.19-ARCH
> that already existed from the previously installed ARCH distro kernel.
>
> I suspect this may be a problem vis a vis ACPI, because with the new kernel
> loaded, the battery level indicator is stuck at zero. :)
>
> What's the magic incantation to build the extramodules?  I did look through
> this:
>
>     https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
>
> but it did not seem to address this question that I could tell.

I have no idea about Arch, but in general, an easy way to build a
module externally is to copy the kernel source tree (or a part of it),
build it with M=xxx make arguments and install with INSTALL_MOD_DIR
override.

	% mkdir -p /somewhere/kernel/sound/pci
	% cp -a /usr/src/linux-xxx/sound/pci/hda /somewhere/kernel/sound/pci/
	% cd /somewhere/kernel/linux-xxx
	% patch -p1 < /somewhere/somefix.patch
	% cd sound/pci/hda
	% make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=$(pwd)
	% su
	# export INSTALL_MOD_DIR=updates
	# make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=$(pwd) modules_install

But better to consult anyone familiar with Arch.