[alsa-devel] [RFC 2/7] ASoC: hda: add helper to configure module params

Vinod Koul vinod.koul at intel.com
Sun Apr 26 16:06:59 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 06:38:30PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 02:27:28AM +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
> > From: Jeeja KP <jeeja.kp at intel.com>
> >
> > This add helper functions to create module
> > parameter for module IPC msg
>
> This feels like it's abstracting between two different driver internal
> formats but it's not entirely clear to me.  I'm lacking some big picture
> stuff here.
Okay, let me try :)

So before this we had posted SKL base PCM driver which was doing HDA stuff
only. Earlier this week you reviewed the SST-IPC driver series, that was
sending IPCs to DSP.
The other series you reviewed with this invokes those IPCs from SKL platform
driver. This series is about DAPM widget handlers and driver changes for
handling DSP.

The SKL supports HDA + DSP and HDA/I2S codecs.

We have one more series which will be missing link. Since we use the
topology/DFW for defining the widgets and map, they are not coded in driver.
That will be sent once topology patches are accepted

Thanks for reviewing the RFCs, I will rework the series and post them in
sequence which would be:
- SKL PCM driver first
- ASoC bus handling wrapper code
- IPC driver
- SKL dapm widget handling and aDSP support
- lastly support for topology to load the DAIs/widgets/map

One more would be ASoC HDA codecs but that can merged independent of these

The core HDA changes are mostly done so that dependency is no longer issue.
Though that code is targeted for next merge window, I think we need to
merge topic/hda from Takashi's tree to yours as well or whatever way you
both feel comfortable..

Do let me know if you have more questions, yes that is a lot of code coming
you way

Thanks
--
~Vinod