[alsa-devel] [RFC] File format for topology data

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Thu Apr 23 03:11:13 CEST 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-22 at 21:28 +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 02:06:46PM +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> > I've pasted below the topology data for the broadwell firmware using the
> > text file format being used by UCM. Using the UCM format allows to to
> > share parser code and allows us to also have UCM define topology data.

Jaroslav, what's your take on the file format. It's using the UCM format
you designed with some changes.

> > I've not yet completed the byte or enum controls but the rest of the
> > data is there for comments. I've also included the recent channel
> > changes suggested in the UAPI header comments.
> >
> > # Firmware Topology Configuration for Broadwell
> >
> > # TLV scale used by both global and stream volumes
> > SectionTLV."hsw_vol_tlv" {
> >
> > 	DBScale [
> > 		min "-9000"
> > 		step "300"
> > 		mute "1"
> > 	]
> > }
> So for our DSP we need to pass some private data, how do we go about
> describing it for this and other controls?

I'm thinking we should have the same method as UCM here. We could either
specify an array of comma separated bytes or a file that contains the
data.

> > # Controls from default pipeline
> > SectionControl."Default Pipeline" {
> >
> > 	Index "1"
> >
> > 	# Master DSP volume
> > 	Mixer [
> > 		name "Master Playback Volume"
> > 		Channel.0 [
> > 			map "Left"
> > 			reg "0"
> > 			shift "0"
> > 		]
> > 		Channel.1 [
> > 			map "Right"
> > 			reg "0"
> > 			shift "8"
> > 		]
> > 		max "31"
> > 		invert "false"
> > 		get "0"
> > 		put "0"
> what do these two mean?

These are for binding to the info(), get(), put() methods, but I'm not
100% sure of using an ID number here. Maybe we should be using a name
that matches the names in the UAPI header. Let me think more about that.

> [...]
> > 		rate "48000"
> > 		channels "2"
> > 		tdm_slot "0xf"
> > 	]
> >
> > 	Capture [
> > 		format "S16_LE"
> > 		rate "48000"
> > 		channels "2"
> > 		tdm_slot "0xf"
> >
> > 	]
> > }
> >
> > SectionPCMConfig."PCM 48k 2P/4C 16bit" {
> >
> > 	Playback [
> > 		format "S16_LE"
> > 		rate "48000"
> > 		channels "2"
> > 		tdm_slot "0xf"
> > 	]
> >
> > 	Capture [
> > 		format "S16_LE"
> > 		rate "48000"
> > 		channels "4"
> > 		tdm_slot "0xf"
> >
> > 	]
> > }
> >
> > # PCM capabilities supported by FW
> > SectionPCMCapabilities."System Playback" {
> >
> > 	Capabilities [
> > 		formats "S24_LE, S16_LE"
> > 		rate_min "48000"
> > 		rate_max "48000"
> > 		channels_min "2"
> > 		channels_max "2"
> > 	]
> > }
> >
> > SectionPCMCapabilities."Analog Capture" {
> >
> > 	Capabilities [
> > 		formats "S24_LE, S16_LE"
> > 		rate_min "48000"
> > 		rate_max "48000"
> > 		channels_min "2"
> > 		channels_max "4"
> > 	]
> > }
> >
> > SectionPCMCapabilities."Offload Pin Playback" {
> >
> > 	Capabilities [
> > 		formats "S24_LE, S16_LE"
> > 		rate_min "8000"
> > 		rate_max "192000"
> > 		channels_min "2"
> > 		channels_max "2"
> > 	]
> > }
> >
> > SectionPCMCapabilities."Loopback Capture" {
> >
> > 	Capabilities [
> > 		formats "S16_LE"
> > 		rate_min "48000"
> > 		rate_max "48000"
> > 		channels_min "2"
> > 		channels_max "2"
> > 	]
> > }
> >
> > # PCM devices exported by Firmware
> > SectionPCM."System Pin" {
> >
> > 	Index 1
> >
> > 	Playback [
> > 		Capabilities "System Playback"
> > 		Config "PCM 48k Stereo 24bit"
> > 		Config "PCM 48k Stereo 16bit"
> > 	]
> >
> > 	Capture [
> > 		Capabilities "Analog Capture"
> > 		Config "PCM 48k Stereo 24bit"
> > 		Config "PCM 48k Stereo 16bit"
> > 		Config "PCM 48k 2P/4C 16bit"
> > 	]
> > }
> Is this a FE or a BE? How about Dailinks?

This is PCM FE. I'll give some examples for the codec <-> codec links
and BE DAI link shortly with updates to the other questions.

Liam