[alsa-devel] [RFC 1/4] ASoC: topology: Add topology UAPI header.

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Tue Apr 21 14:43:47 CEST 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-21 at 12:02 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:47:53 +0100,
> Liam Girdwood wrote:

> > > Not got a massively strong opinion here but given that we have ABI
> > > versioning can we just skip the 128 bytes of reserved space in most of
> > > the structs?  Doesn't seem to be doing much except making the files
> > > bigger.
> >
> > We had a similar discussion in Nuremburg last week, the intention is to
> > keep the size of the structures constant so wont dont break older
> > kernels with newer userspace ABIs etc.
>
> Maybe a question is whether the size is sensible.  But the argument
> here was "memory is cheap nowadays".

Ok, we can reduce the size here. I think Vinod wanted at least 4 * 4
byte words (i.e. 16 bytes) minimum IIRC, what about 16 bytes ? That
would give us at least 4 new members for the future ?

> > > Do we want to convert this into an array of reg/shift tuples for the
> > > (dobutless forthcoming) 5.1 controls?  Not sure it's worth it.  I do
> > > think we probably need some explicit documentation for things like what
> > > to do with the left and right bits, I guess we hope other OSs or
> > > whatever can make use of the same topology if we're trying to make it
> > > standard.
> >
> > Yeah, that's a good point which we should address :)
> >
> > What about something like :-
> >
> > struct snd_soc_mixer_channel {
> > 	__le32 reg;
> > 	__le32 shift;
> > }
> >
> > struct snd_soc_tplg_mixer_control {
> > 	struct snd_soc_tplg_control_hdr hdr;
> > 	__le32 min;
> > 	__le32 max;
> > 	__le32 platform_max;
> > 	__le32 invert;
> > 	__le32 num_channels;
> > 	char reserved[64];
> > 	struct snd_soc_tplg_mixer_channel channel[0];
> > 	struct snd_soc_tplg_private priv;
>
> A field after a variable array doesn't work.  Either drop priv or make
> channel a fixed size array (with some max).

Oh I did not try and build this ;) A fixed size works for me. What about
8 channels (meaning we support upto 7.1) ?

Another thing that comes to mind is should we also include some channel
mapping data ?

struct snd_soc_mixer_channel {
	__le32 map;	/* Maps to ID for Left, Right, LFE etc */
	__le32 reg;
	__le32 shift;
}

Liam