[alsa-devel] Support Dell headset mode for ALC288

Mario Limonciello mario_limonciello at dell.com
Mon Apr 20 22:12:59 CEST 2015

On 04/08/2015 04:40 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 8 Apr 2015 08:08:47 +0000,
> Kailang wrote:
> OK, I applied this with rephrasing the changelog mentioning ALC286,
> too.
>
> Since this one and Dell patch are relative large changes, I queued
> them to for-next branch instead of for-linus, i.e. the merge to Linus
> tree will be postponed to 4.1-rc1.
>

> thanks,
>
> Takashi

Takashi,

It's a bit unfortunate that these are landing in 4.1 rather than 4.0.  4.1 they actually won't be very useful in the default kernel due to this patch landing:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/b1ef2972586577e0ca9675254ee141f65a8824e5

With 4.1 the XPS 13 will run in I2S audio mode.

Is there any chance at backporting these to @stable?  Some of the distros (Ubuntu and Fedora) are already backporting this into some of their kernel versions, but I think this should benefit the community at large if the other distributions that tracked @stable could pick this up too.

Thanks,