[alsa-devel] Assert in pcm_params.c

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 10:54:00 CEST 2015

> Hi,
>
> The following assert is being hit in pcm_params.c:
>
> "pcm_params.c:2249: snd1_pcm_hw_params_slave: Assertion `err >= 0'
failed."

> This is from a developer using Portaudio in his own application; I have
yet to
> ascertain full details, but it is trying successive sample rates to see
which
> are valid.
>
> Does this point to a flaw in the configuration or possibly a bug in
Alsa-lib
> or can it occur just as a result of misuse of the Alsa API?

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___p_c_m___h_w___params.html

Only snd_pcm_hw_params_test_rate() can be call multiple times,
Verify if a rate is available inside a configuration space for a PCM.

Those snd_pcm_hw_params_ser_rate*  functions restrict the configuration
space to one rate and can be called once only