[alsa-devel] RME MADIFX mainline inclusion

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Apr 7 12:03:19 CEST 2015

At Mon, 06 Apr 2015 18:24:43 +0200,
Adrian Knoth wrote:

> Hi Takashi!
>
> Back in the days (late 2012 I guess), I wrote the MADIFX driver based on
> the existing RME hdspm.c.
>
> I never had physical access to this 1399 Euro audio interface, only the
> OSX driver and a shell login to one of IOSONO's machines which
> temporarily featured such a card.
>
> I know there are other users like University of Washington (DXARTS) and
> probably some more (the usual WFS suspects).
>
> Long story short: I don't have such a card and since I no longer work in
> Linux audio, I guess I won't have access in the foreseeable future.
>
> That said, I think the driver should be part of the mainline kernel, so
> it gets all the love the other drivers get (static code analysis, API
> changes etc.)
>
> I think I've ported everything you guys have done to hdspm: I've read
> the commitlog for hdspm and applied those changes to the madifx driver.
>
> Code is here:
>
>     https://github.com/adiknoth/madifx/commits/tokernel

>   * PCM playback/capture working (SS and DS tested, QS untested)
>   * MIDI working
>   * All card settings working (e.g. TX64, SMUX, AESpro, WC-Term,
> WC-singlespeed...)
>   * Slave Mode/External clock selection working
>   * Mirror-MADI1-to-Out2+3 maybe working (untested)
>   * Redundancy mode maybe working (untested)
>   * ioctls implemented (see ioctl.c)
>   * Static mixer working (fixed 1:1 mapping)
>   * DSP NOT working. RME doesn't intend to release any information
> regarding the DSP.
>   * Adjustable mixer NOT working (needs new userspace tools)
>   * Levelmetering NOT working (maybe wrong, needs new userspace tools)
>

> I have no idea who could write the new mixer code. Apparently, demand is
> low, maybe zero.
>
> checkpatch reports four warnings of which one is a false-positive, the
> other one doesn't make sense and only two are real but somewhat ugly to
> fix (line over 80 with really long array indices).
>
> In its current state, can I send you three patches (Kconfig, madifx.h,
> madifx.c) that add said driver to sound/pci/rme9652?

Well, I really want some testers whether the merged code actually
works.  The code looks fine through a quick glance, so the only
requirement is the test (and the demands, of course).  If we can get
someone, then I'll happily merge the code after review.

Could you contact some people for testing?

thanks,