[alsa-devel] Alsa Driver Scarlett

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Sep 19 11:03:18 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-18 18:20, Tobias Hoffmann wrote:
> On 18/09/14 14:29, David Henningsson wrote:
>> Hi Tobias,
>>
>> I believe you are the author of the repository at
>> https://github.com/smilingthax/alsa-driver_scarlett.
>
> Yes, I am.
>
>> Your Scarlett driver is reported to be working fine, and there are
>> some requests (see below) to get the driver into mainline Linux. Is
>> this something you would be interested in helping out with?
>
> I'm all for including the driver into mainline, but I do not have any time
> to go through N iterations of a patch to get it there.
>
> I *might* be able to do a initial cleaned up version against tiwai's
> for-next in the next few days, if that helps.
>
> Other than that, I will happily (try to) answer questions about the code.
>
>    Tobias

Ok, thanks for the update!

As I looked through the patches I noticed Robin Gareus (now cc:ed) were
also the author of these patches, I assume you're okay with upstreaming
it too, Robin?

There seem to be these "main" patches:

  * Initial code for 18i6 mixer (Robin)
  * Added log scale meters for 18i6 mixer (Robin)
  * Added code for 18i8 and "big rewrite" (Tobias)
  * Added code for 18i20 (Tobias)
  * Added code for 8i6 (Tobias)
  * Added code for 6i6 (Tobias)

...the rest of the patches are fixups which can be squashed into the
existing patches when mainlining.

I could commit to do this squashing, run the remaining patches through
checkpatch and submit the result on alsa-devel. I have no hw to test
with though.

The big rewrite probably means that the rewrite patch should be squashed
with the initial patch too, and list both of you as authors on the
resulting patch. (Btw, what's the Linux kernel standard for that? To add
a co-authored-by?)

>> Regards,
>>   David
>>
>> On 2014-09-16 16:10, Johannes Kroll wrote:

>>> Oh, I see. I'm all for integrating this patch into mainline. But I have
>>> never done such a thing, so I don't know how much effort it would be. I
>>> guess it would be a simple thing to do for a routine Alsa developer.
>>> Anyone? :]

David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic