[alsa-devel] Radeon unconnected HDMI eats samples at 280 kHz

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Sep 17 15:40:08 CEST 2014

Hi,

While investigating some interesting debug output from PulseAudio, I
tried to figure out the cause.

 From what I can tell, my Radeon seems to ask for new samples at a very
high rate, which I estimate to be around 280 kHz. My radeon card has
DVI, HDMI and VGA connectors, and the only thing connected is my screen
over DVI.

I'm currently running the 3.13 kernel with updated hda directory from
Takashi's tree, but I think it's been this way for a long time.

Note that if a screen is connected to the HDMI card, the problem
disappears and sample rates are normal.
In short, do you think this is a driver bug, or just something we have
to live with as some sort of hw anomaly?
Since nothing is connected, it does not really hurt, except PulseAudio
gets confused (in a way that could potentially cause problems for
low-latency output, should something be connected later on).

For reference, here's lspci of the HDMI card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4550] [1002:9540] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device [174b:e106]
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series] [1002:aa38]
	Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device [174b:aa38]

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic