[alsa-devel] Alsa Driver Scarlett

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Sep 17 14:29:04 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-16 16:10, Johannes Kroll wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:49:25 +0200
> Orm Finnendahl <orm.finnendahl at selma.hfmdk-frankfurt.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag, den 16. September 2014 um 15:22:27 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Johannes Kroll:
>>>
>>> I guess I'll need to find the time to port the patch to a recent kernel
>>> when I upgrade, unless someone else does it first.
>>
>> The patch still works on our recent kernels (we are on debian testing
>> with a 3.14-2 kernel), atm there is no porting necessary. I can also
>> confirm that the driver has no known issues on our systems (we use a
>> couple of Scarlett 18i20 in different configurations). It would be
>> great, though if the patch could get integrated into alsa. At the
>> moment it is quite painful for our students with linux laptops as they
>> have to reapply the patch on every upgrade.

A tip could be to use the DKMS infrastructure, which recompiles itself
on kernel upgrades.

> Oh, I see. I'm all for integrating this patch into mainline. But I have
> never done such a thing, so I don't know how much effort it would be. I
> guess it would be a simple thing to do for a routine Alsa developer.
> Anyone? :]

Well, as a first check: Do we have means to contact Tobias Hoffman, and
possibly other contributors? Having their sign-off would be a good start...

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic