[alsa-devel] EP93XX / EDB9315A Audio Issues

Jeremy Moles cubicool at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 19:57:33 CEST 2014

(I'm cross-posting this to the linux-arm-kernel and alsa-devel lists, as
recommended):

I'm looking for anyone who has successfully used the EP93XX/EDB9315A
demo board's sound infrastructure. I have been working with Hartley
Sweeten on patching some DMA coherency mask issues (successfully), and
while this makes the kernel stop complaining (and allows the userspace
to "appear" to work) I never actually get any sound out of the machine
on newer kernels.

I do, however, have an existing (binary-only) 2.6.21 kernel from the
client where sound _IS_ functional; thus, I know the system can
POTENTIALLY work, and that the problem is software-based.

At this point, I have a mountain of information I can provide about the
state of my EDB9315A board, but what I'm really looking for is someone
to connect with and/or have consult with us to get sound working on
newer kernels with this board exactly (although other EP93XX boards
might be similar, I'm so mistrustful of everything at this point I'm
looking for someone else with this hardware EXACTLY).

I've tried 3.15-3.17, all with the same results. aplay/alsamixer see the
device, appear to interact with it in a normal fashion (it even
mutes/unmutes the device every time you touch it), but no sound is ever
produced. It is possible, of course, the problem is in userspace (I'm
using a custom Yocto-based image), but I'm doubtful of that.

At any rate, any help would be greatly appreciate, although i realize
this is fringe hardware. :)