[alsa-devel] AKAI EIE PRO

Michal Rydlo michal.rydlo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 23:43:32 CEST 2014

Hello there!

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Daniel Mack <daniel at zonque.org> wrote:

> On 09/07/2014 01:30 PM, humbert.olivier.1 at free.fr wrote:
> > if that can help, we had an user on http://www.linuxmao.org with an EIE PRO.
> > Here you have his lsusb -v :
> >
> > Bus 001 Device 006: ID 09e8:0010 AKAI  Professional M.I. Corp.
> > Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
> > Device Descriptor:
> >   bLength                18
> >   bDescriptorType         1
> >   bcdUSB               2.00
> >   bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
> >   bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
> >   bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
>
> According to the tech specs, this should be a USB hub, but it isn't. Or
> is this just one of the sub-devices? What does 'lsusb -t' say, and does
> Linux see something like a mouse or mass storage device when connected
> to one of the hub ports?
>
> Assuming that's just the audio part ...
>
> >       Endpoint Descriptor:
> >         bLength                 7
> >         bDescriptorType         5
> >         bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
> >         bmAttributes            5
> >           Transfer Type            Isochronous
> >           Synch Type               Asynchronous
> >           Usage Type               Data
> >         wMaxPacketSize     0x009c  1x 156 bytes
> >         bInterval               1
> >       Endpoint Descriptor:
> >         bLength                 7
> >         bDescriptorType         5
> >         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
> >         bmAttributes            2
> >           Transfer Type            Bulk
> >           Synch Type               None
> >           Usage Type               Data
> >         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
> >         bInterval               4
> >       Endpoint Descriptor:
> >         bLength                 7
> >         bDescriptorType         5
> >         bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
> >         bmAttributes            2
> >           Transfer Type            Bulk
> >           Synch Type               None
> >           Usage Type               Data
> >         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
> >         bInterval               4
>
> So at least, they're not trying to hide class-specific endpoint
> descriptors here, which what I've been hoping for.
>
> I guess someone has to trace the traffic spoken to this device by the
> Windows driver. I take it this thing doesn't work on OS X with a 3rd
> party driver?

I have analyzed the protocol more than a half year ago. I even tried to
create a linux driver around it but had to stop due to lack of time.
I hope I can continue working on it in November again.

I have published what I have done so far to github few seconds ago if
anyone wants to have a look or perhaps contribute.

https://github.com/mmm444/eie-pro-linux

I can write more text about the protocol if someone is interested.

Regards,

Michal